Here are the latest ideas from the Safe Places Task Force and the Lakewood’s Promise Advisory Board:
- The goal is to create more late night programs (after 7 PM) open to all teens.
- These programs will occur at least monthly in various locations around Lakewood.
- Locations should be able to handle a certain amount of teens
- Locations should have a “draw” to add something special to the Late Night Program
- Teens will experience more of what Lakewood has to offer when they visit other sites.
- A permanent floating staff will be provided by various youth-serving organizations to be the backbone of each Late Night activity.
- Each Late Night program will have a element of each of the Five Promises
- Caring Adults
- Safe Places
- Healthy Start
- Effective Education (Marketable Skills)
- Opportunities to Help Others (Youth Volunteer Opportunities)
- An idea from the Promise Board was to announce date/time in advance and the location of the activity at the last minute to encourage excitement ann sharing
- The use of social media is key and the Task Force is looking at ways to utilize youth to generate participation.
- Safe Places Task Force to attend the YMCA Late Night Program on October 24 to observe a successful program in action
- First Non-Y Event will be held at the Lakewood Library on November 13
- Identify floating staff members with contributions from
- Boys and Girls Club
- Pierce College
- City of Lakewood
- Create handout flier for Library late night to share at other programs
- Make sure the Nov. 13th event is well-attended and a success
- Recruit more members for the Safe Places Task Force as program grows
NEXT SAFE PLACES TASK FORCE MEETING
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 8, CITY HALL, 8:30 AM